Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I Met Onofre Pagsanghan, Sen. Juan Flavier and Sen. Santanina Rasul..

Some random musings that made me smile last night (during RFM's 50th Anniversary)..

Kahit nakakalungkot na pag may mga event eh I never felt na bisita ako (kahit na the event was for RFM employees), na I had a very ungrateful boss who never noticed how much I was trying to be on top of things to make sure na wala siyang magiging problema (kahit tubig, pagkain o upuan pa yan at the least), na i never got to eat anything last night...

People who sincerely appreciate what you've done for them can still make you feel human...

Senator Juan Flavier is one of my idols. Perhaps, he is the only Filipino Senator and Health Secretary whose programs I would never forget. He was rather old too.. but very wise in years. Like Sir Pagsi, Sen. Flavier was so humble. He came alone - no EAs, he didn't bring his wife as no one would be left in the house even if I insisted on it earlier.

He was tired, I could see it in his face as well after 3 hours of sitting alone in the front row. After the awarding, I went out of my way to make sure that someone would carry all of his stuff outside the door. His trophy was quite heavy, and there was no way he could bring home all the other stuff on his own to the door. He was very nice too - thanking me for making sure that I made his night a little more easier.

I never thought I'd have the chance to meet Sen. Santanina Rasul. As a child, I often dreamt of being able to vote for her in the 1992 elections (i was only 8 at that time). I met her, in all her radiant beauty - wearing a beautiful pink sequined sablay.

She came with her family and they were very nice as well. I only had one concern as I was looking for Halal food for them to eat as the waiters were unfortunately unaware of what Halal food was. (oh boy..)

When I first read about how Ateneo students loved Onofre Pagsanghan, I concocted this grandfatherly image of a professor who loved his students. Well, the image came close to the real thing..

I personally met Dr. Pagsanghan last night at the 'red carpet". The old man was very charming and very kind. He was accompanied by his very sweet wife as well. The whole program took about 3 hours and I saw how hungry they got. For a man of 82, he was up and about, in high spirits with a warm smile that made anyone gravitate towards him.

He was hungry. It was adorable - really. My officemates and I got him and his family food. It was nice to see him eat happily. But I never knew that I was I who was in for a surprise. He and his wife whispered to me.. "Please tell everyone, thank you, thank you for seeing to the needs of my family, for being very kind to us. You made me feel that I was the most important awardee tonight. Please extend my gratitude to everyone.. "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

gulong.. gulong lang ng gulong..

Page Hits: free-counters.net @ free hit counters